'Mazing Malaysia -Exploring Sarawak
Five things to do in Kuching, Malaysia
Located in Sarawak on the Island of Boreno, Kuching is a not-to-miss destination easily accessible in less than two hours on a flight from Kuala Lumpur. The are many wonderful things to see and do but do not miss these five must-do:
1. City tour: Visit the Sawawak Museum housed in a Victorian-style building where the natural and cultural history of the area are highlighted. Kuching’s mascot is the cat so visit the Cat Museum located high on the hill above the city affording a great view. It was the world’s first cat museum.
2. Explore the waterfront: What was once a bustling shipping area is no a beautiful place attracting foreigners and locals. There are museums, shops, and places to sample local cuisine.
3. Semengoh Orang Utan: Arrive in time for the 9:00 feeding. The Orangs are semi-wild and in the process of being rehabilitated so they can live on their own. They roam freely in the rainforest usually returning at feeding time if they are hungry. Most were rescued or born to rescued mothers.
4. River Cruise: End the day with a sunset cruise on the Sarawak River. It is a great way to see the city. The tour starts with a travel video. Complimentary juice and cake are served. Between the travel commentary traditional dances are highlighted.
5. Bidayuh Longhouse: Climb the notched log steps into the traditional longhouse built on stilts and receive a welcome glass of tuak, the local rice wine. View the Bidayuh as they weave, dry rice, and go about their daily life.
In Kuching stay at the Hilton with excellent views of the city and river. For a beach location nothing beats Damai Beach Hotel. It is in walking distance of the Sarawak Cultural Village.
For more information sarawaktourism.com or tourism.gov.my.